Helping L Drivers

Motorcycling Lessons

After CBT

After CBT, riders are allowed to ride on the road unaccompanied, but they must still display L Plates (or D Plates in Wales), and not carry a pillion passenger or ride on motorways.

CBT is only a very basic course, and so you should ensure that your learner rider takes additional training with a professional motorcycle instructor before riding on the road on their own.

It is important that learner riders take frequent, and regular professional lessons during their learning period. The lessons should be spread over a period of weeks and months, rather than crammed into a short intensive course.

The National Standard for Riding Mopeds and Motorcycles describes the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to be a safe and responsible motorcycle or moped rider. Details are available at

Bike cones

Choosing an Instructor

Motorcycle training courses are run by approved training bodies (ATBs). Use the online tool at to find an ATB. It is also worth speaking to other riders as they may be able to recommend a good one.

The organisations listed in the Resources and Links may also be able to offer advice on finding a motorcycle trainer.